Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Mausoleum Update!

Hey guys,

Sorry for the lack of updates but we've been very busy and working exceptionally hard on the new Mausoleum!

When I last posted we still didn't know how we wanted to do the exterior. We finally decided to do a brick exterior with a slate roof.

Great! So, where are we now?

Well, We've finished the roof, started distressing the bricks and are making customized stained glass windows!

So, as you can see, we've cut 3"x 8" sections of a roll of very thin foam (I have no idea what it's actual purpose is meant for but Home Depot sold it for under $6 for a giant roll) and laid down each individual piece as though they were slate.

The finished roof. Admittedly, the glue is a little sloppy but you won't see it once we've painted everything!

Close up on the first part of the distressing of the bricks.

Full shot of the first part of brick distressing.

My wife is a genius! This is the first stained glass window she's ever made. The second one is even better!

And there you go!

So far everything looks great, but we are far from done.

We have the second part of the brick distressing before we add the "mortar" between the bricks. We still have to finish the interior and then we have to paint.

Also, you'll notice the windows don't go through the walls. That's because we need the interior of the mausoleum to be as dark as we can make it. That said, we want the windows to light up a little up to show them off. We're working on a plan to do that and I'll show you what we come up with later.

I also don't know if the roof looks like slate tile. To me, it looks like classic roofing shingles. We'll have to see what we can do with painting. I don't think we can pull off slate so we may just paint the roof gray.

Anyway, that's where we are at the moment.

Plus, we still have all the other things we've got planned. I'll tell you more about that some other time.


No comments:

Post a Comment