Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Added A Window to the Mausoleum!

Hey guys,

So, we've been managing to get some work done this week.

Yesterday we attached one of the windows Lynn made (I posted a pic a while back) to the Mausoleum.


Here we added a strand of LED lights to the interior of the window.

A little industrial Velcro an the window is attached.

Here's a closeup.

And here's the window at night!

And there you go.

So, we only ran the lights around the brickwork because we didn't want them to light up the entire street.

Even though they're turned all the way down, they're still a little brighter than I would like, but it's gonna look brilliant (no pun intended) so all's good.

We also changed the lights from blue, which you see in the first pic, to yellow, which you may be able to tell from the last pic. The yellow allows the color of the window to show up way better than the blue did. With the blue, everything looked, well, kinda blue.

That said, we're still not done.

We still need to add some brickwork around the newly installed window. We can't have all that Velcro showing. The bricks will be painted, then attached on top of the Plexiglas. The intention is that the window will removable so we can replace the lights when needed, but I'm not entirely sure it's gonna be that simple. Foam, glued to Plexiglas attached by industrial Velcro. Should be interesting trying to remove it without breaking anything.

We also have the other window to do but, once that's done, the Mausoleum will be so very close to finished!

And not a moment too soon as it turns out.

More updates to come.


Monday, October 19, 2015

Another Hard Working Weekend!

Hey guys,

Well, it was another weekend of working on the Hollow!

We finally started moving tombstones into the graveyard.  Now it no longer looks as though we thought our front yard needed a complete pathway remake!

Okay, I took this pic after installing the sign but before adding the tombstones so you'll just have to  trust me, they're there!

We also finished painting and aging the new Mausoleum!

Now all we have to do is attache the stained glass windows and we'll be, for the most part, done building the Mausoleum.

Then all we have to do is break it all down and move it out front, get the new prop for the mausoleum working, fix up any props that broke last year, add lighting to the front yard, run pneumatic lines for the props, put all the remaining props out front, lay down the mulch on the pathway and hay everywhere else, build a few sarcophagi to hide the fog machines, install the fog machines, clean up the house for the party and get all dressed up.

As always, we're gonna need a vacation when all this is over.

I'll have more pics later this week.


Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Mausoleum Progressing!

Hey everyone,

We've been making great progress on the new Mausoleum.

First thing I had to do this last week was build the Ridge Cap for the roof.  This was pretty simple.

I used two strips of the rubber floor molding you see if office buildings and tiled it using the same foam and process I used on the rest of the roof.  Here is the start of the process.

And here it is finished.

And here it is attached to the roof with screws. It took a lot of screws to hold it in place and that will be a bit of a bother when it comes time to remove it for break down but I can't argue with the results. I think it looks pretty good. After this we painted it to match the roof.

And here is the Mausoleum all painted with the base coat and put back together with the cross and Hollinger Family Crest attached.

And here it is with the brick treatment.

And a closer look.

A closeup of the Crest and Cross.

And the backside with an aging glaze. Eventually, all the bricks will look like this!

And there you go!

Once all the painting is complete we will finish off the interior with black curtains and I will build a gate for the door.

I'll have pics when that is done.