Monday, September 8, 2014

New Column Toppers!



Alright.

Yesterday I told you guys what our plans for this year are. Now, I'd like to share with you something Lynn is working on, the new Column Toppers.

As I may have mentioned, it rained all October last year and the rain completely ruined the new pumpkin toppers we built. I say "we", but really it's all her.  Anyway, to replace those, we thought we'd do something like in the image above. Creepy, zombie like hands holding a lantern. We got the idea from a prop in the Fright Props 2014 catalog, where I get all my pneumatic supplies, but instead of buying it we decided to build our own.

So, how are we going to do that?

To start, Lynn is making the arms and hands.

Their construction is pretty easy. You get some 3/4" PVC pipe and a 45° elbow. Attache the elbow using PVC primer and glue. Then, shape some Bic pens to look like fingers and attach to the wrist using wire. Tie it all together using duct tape. Once the glue dries, add cotton for joints and cover with liquid latex. I make it sound easy, but they do require a large amount of artistic flare.

And for a closer look...


Next, I'll construct the base pedestal which will support the arm and the lantern. To be honest, I have no idea how I'm gonna do that.

Guess I'll make that another post!

More to come...

Later!


1 comment: