Sunday, October 28, 2012

Ghost Face Tombstone... A Three Year Project Nearly Complete!



Hey guys,

So, about three years ago I saw a prop from a home haunter that was a face coming out of a TV.  It was super creepy and I loved it.  I wanted to put it in our haunt, but a TV in a graveyard seemed odd, even for a Halloween display.

It took me a couple of days but suddenly the very obvious way to use it came to mind... a tombstone with a face coming out of it!  Why it took a couple of days to come up with that is anybody's guess, I certainly don't know why.

But, I digress.  I immediately sat down and drew up the plans and then, nothing.  I never had time to build it. 

But, that was the first year.  Like I said, this idea is three years old.

Last year I revisited the idea and actually cut out a tombstone with a hole in the middle and went out and bought a small motor.  "Small" is the operative phrase here.  It was too small to push the face through the mesh.  I then took apart several house fans and for one reason or another just couldn't make it work.

That brings us to this year.  This year I was walking through a Halloween store when I saw this...

People with money and means can make this work using cheap plastic!
So, for a price slightly cheaper than I paid for a motor I will probably never use, I bought this Halloween prop and cannibalized it!
 


Here's what I did...
 
I took the face, conveniently housed in a face shaped motor housing and strapped it to the tombstone I made last year with pipe strapping and a couple of screws. Notice the little shelf where the old motor was once mounted, now no longer necessary. 
Here's the front.

And here is the ghost face pushing out of the tombstone

And that is all there is to it.  If you notice, one layer of spandex is slightly transparent.  I know, you probably won't be able to see through it in the dark of night but the Hollow is surprisingly bright when fully lit up and I feel the need to put a second layer on top.


That's why I said the project is nearly complete.

I'll show you what it looks like when I finish.

Later.


No comments:

Post a Comment