Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Pumpkin Statues!

Hey guys,

Well, we've been working for the last couple of days on the new pumpkin statues that will sit atop our new exit gate columns. 

Of course, when I say "we" I really mean my wonderfully, talented wife has been working on the pumpkins.  I've been uselessly sitting on my butt waiting for it to stop raining long enough for me to paint my new bridge, but I digress.

The process is long so in the interest in updating the blog I've decided to post the progress thus far.  As with all the pictures on this site, click the pic to get a larger image.

So, start off with some rolled up paper (enough to make it stiff like the inside tube of a paper towel roll) and glue it to two little wheels made out of cardboard or any similar material.

Then cut several strips of poster board and glue it to the tube by attaching the ends of the strips to the little wheels.  Hot glue works the best.  Make the strips uneven in their distance from the tube.  This will give the pumpkin its ridged contour.

Instead of going straight for the paper mache the wife had the idea to wrap the first layer in shipping tape.  This was fun because it gave the pumpkins a beach ball feel.

Then no less than 3 layers of paper mache.

This part is just like a real pumpkin, draw and cut.

And since we have two gate columns we will need two pumkin statues.

And that is as much as we have done on the Pumpkin Statues for the moment.

More updates to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment